Sunday, July 31, 2016

Burn Test | My First Candle

The weight of the container and wax is 115 grams. The diameter of the metal cup is 2 and half inches, so it should be burned test for 2 and 30 minutes. I actually thought I did but upon making this post I realized that the the burn test was short of 30 minutes

Candle bubbles

Other than the one big protruding bubbles near the wick, the surface is also full of other tiny bubbles that still have an air on them.  For some reason, I find that one big bubble gross to look at.

Air trapped inside the wax
I finally pressed the bubble.

 Before test burning this though and for curiosity sake, I finally decided to press it. It emit a crunching/tiny popping sound. The bubbles somehow solidified.


High oil content

Candles should not be oily like this. This is my finger after wiping the surface of the candle. The candle is hard nonetheless.

start of burn test

30 minutes
After 30 minutes.

1 hour
After 1 hour.

I appreciate the handle of this cup as the container get hot. Those who are not used with container candles might accidentally drop it.

I personally don't like a wide melt pool. However, that can be a waste of money/wax if the wick reaches the bottom without melting all the waxes on its side. I feel that this wax was quick in creating a pool of melted wax. The wax is originally hard to touch but might have a low melting point.

1 and 30 minutes
After 1 hour and 30 minutes

2 hours
After 2 hours.

Though there was still wax left on the right side of the cup in this picture, the melt pool was just right (approximately 1cm). There is another 30 minutes of burn test needed that I was not able to do after this.

The difference with the previous picture was just minimal. I think that the wick is just right for the diameter of this candle. I might try to wick down in the future to see how it will appear or wick up if fragrance and dyes will be added.

The wick is curled making it melt more wax on the direction the curl is pointing.

unlit candle
Right after I blew the candle

quick mottling

I sighed when I saw this. The mixture inside is still uneven. They don't mix well. It may look normal in the picture but you will see the difference with a pair of keen eyes. The oil and the wax didn't bind well as usual. This is not the kind of behavior you will experience if you'll buy the candles that are currently in the market.

closer tilted view
Tilted view

The wax adheres well in the wall of this container. It only demonstrates that it's a container kind of candle. The presence of oil helps the wax adhere in its container while harder wax or wax with lesser oils will separate itself from the container.

The only problem with this candle is it continuously flicker throughout the burning test. The wind from the window is not strong enough to make it the reason of the flickering.

Observations:
There are tiny bubbles inside the melt pool while the candle is lit.
The wick is hard to cut. A nail nipper or a very sharp scissor is needed.
Prewaxing the wax might be needed.

Diameter of container: 2 and half inch
Original weight: 115 grams
New weight: 90 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...