Sunday, April 12, 2015

Angelfall (Book Review)

Angelfall is my favourite book back when I still don’t read that much. So imagine the effect it has on me then. I like this better than Hunger Games and Twilight because their love story feels right and wholesome yet still surprisingly striking. This book also has a lot of potential as a movie as long as it will be beautifully made with the right actors and actresses. Talk about charm and good cinematography.

Back in those days, this book was very close in my heart as it reminded me of a special friend whose character I truly admire. Sometimes you have so much respect to a person that their being just a role model in your life is enough. Being exclusive is not mandatory. And if they’ll like you back, you want it to come naturally and not forced.

It’s kind of predictable in this book that when two people are living together, they will certainly have an attachment and a room for attraction. It happens in real life. That’s why it’s just normal to assume that when two people are always together, especially opposite sex, there’s usually something between them.

Angelfall book cover

Nonetheless, Penryn is not the kind who’s desperate of love. The possibility of love is minor even if they’ve exchange a lot of bantering during their journey. Part of this book is action and survival until they were able to achieve each of their personal objective and mission. She is determined and courageous which reminds me of Arya from Hunger Games. She’s not a damsel in distress and is better than Katnis and Bella for me.

Their Love Story

I realize I like and appreciate Penryn after reading book 2 (World After). It’s originally just Raffe who I love and the star for me in this first book. He was different because you are not sure if he loves you but still you keep on adoring him. You don’t pick the most beautiful flower in the garden even if it’s lonely, right? Some love is not greedy. But that’s not the whole story. Family is more important to Penryn, love life is just an accessory and it’s barely there. But it’s the possibility that also makes it interesting for some readers. Would Raffe fall?

It’s not a love at first sight, it’s a kind of love that slowly grows while the story progresses. They’ve learned to protect each other. They have chemistry and since they’re both fighters, they match each other pretty well.

The Angels

Raffe gave angel a good image even if they’re killers. The use of angels here are quite realistic and hopefully it would last throughout the series. I don’t like fictions that used old legends and made a lot of modification from the original to the point that it’s hard to tell which one is true or just made up.

Action

The fight scenes are worth reading and entertaining. It’s clearly written and simple but still detailed. This makes it one of the easiest kinds of action to digest even for light readers. The stunt Penryn does even if she had gone to trainings before (martial arts) is just so appropriate and expected with a 17 year old girl.

Can angel really hear that far or not? Why did Penryn said to Dee-dum that angels can’t hear them?

The Ending

It‘s a cliff-hanger for those who are looking forward to their love story. It’s still acceptable despite some unfinished business. Besides, angels are not meant for a daughter of man. Why insists breaking the rules?

This book is a quick read and not as dark and creepy as Hunger Games. If you like the latter, you might also want to try this. It could be your next favourite too.

Favorite Quotes

“That’s a pretty intimate demand in the angel world. It usually takes dinner, some wine, and sparkling conversation for me to give up my feet.”

“You must have heard the old adage that there’s power in knowing someone’s true name.”

“I wonder which will get you killed faster – your loyalty or your stubbornness?”

“I’ll be sure not to let anyone but you carry me in her arms”.

Recommend?
Yes

Rate:
5/5


1 comment:

  1. I've heard a lot of raves for this book! I haven't had a chance to read it yet but I hope I can soon! :)


    www.jhanzey.net

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...