Thursday, March 27, 2014

My 1st Polymer Clay Art Attempt

Material Used:
Oven
Oven Thermometer (Optional)
Foil
Polymer Clay (China clay)
Plais
Head Pin
Oil (optional)

The clay is hard. Most of my first clays have baby oil mixed to soften it. If possible, I don’t like to use oil since I really don’t know how it affects the clay chemically, nor if it can rotten or weaken it faster than it intends to.

I put the pan in the lowest rack. Then I preheated the oven. Put a foil to avoid scorching heat (Even if I’m unsure whether my oven does scorch). Waited for just 10-15 minutes.

Then, when I looked at the clay, it melted. The cupcake doesn’t look like a cupcake anymore and the teddy bear was burned. I am wondering why the 2 clay doesn’t have the same level of burning. The end of the teddy bear was really burned.

I was almost anxious in my oven thermometer since it took more than 5-10 minutes after the arrow changed temperature. Did I just buy a broken thermometer? Found it not though. It just takes long to determine temperature.

I wonder if it’s due to:
-The oil.
-The pan distance to the heating element.
-The foil.

It was not in my mind to take a before picture prior to the cooking. But the cupcake has a bit of slants until it was cooked and became straight.

Tips & Suggestion:
Know how much you electricity you consume.

Clay in Foil
Foil Tent
Cooking Polymer Clay
Fresh from cooking
Burned Clay
Melted Clay
Burned Cup Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...